Xigera, a classic wilderness camp, is located in the central west Okavango Delta within the Moremi Wildlife Reserve in in one of the most beautiful parts of the Okavango.Camp Description
• Situated on large island
• Entrance is by footbridge over river
• Permanently flowing river in front of camp
• “Tropical” and “jungle” feel
• Dining room and bar under thatch
• Kgotla (boma) for dining under the stars (weather permitting).
• Campfire deck
• Curio shop
• Plunge pool
• Tents are connected to the main communal areas by wooden walkwaysElectricity & water
• Camp has 220v generator, which runs when guests are not in camp. When guests return from daily activities, generators generally switched off (for peace in camp).
• 220v inverter power is used for lighting and fans in each guest tent 24hrs/day
• Plug points are available in each tent so that sleep apnoea machines may be used and batteries can be charged.
• Electrically heated waterChildren
Children of 6 years and older are accommodated, however, private activities need to be booked and paid for. The minimum age for boating activities is 6 years, while mekoro and walking activities have a minimum age of 12 years.Game viewing
Xigera is a water-based camp offering guests an opportunity to experience the waterways of the Okavango Delta. In the peak months, guests are able to boat through over 60 kilometers of floodplain and channels to reach the islands where there are regular sightings of Buffalo, Elephant, Zebra, Giraffe, Lechwe and Sitatunga as well as numerous other Delta species.
Lion and leopard can also be seen crossing the deep channels as they move between islands. Hippo can be seen from mokoro and there is an abundance of birds, a special being Pel’s Fishing Owl.
This camp can accommodate 20 guests plus tour leader.
Number of tents:
Ten tents in total consisting of:
• 7 x twin bedded tents
• 2 x king-size bedded tents
• 1 family unit which comprises one standard guest unit, linked by a short enclosed walkway to a second unit. The second room omprises a room and bathroom as per the adult side but exclude the outdoor shower and front veranda.
• 1 x guide/pilot tent (same standard as guest tent)
• Tented safari camp raised off the ground on wooden walkways.
• Each tent has a great view
• En-suite bathrooms
• Tent entrance is a sliding door
• Stand up fans
• Mosquito net
• Soaps, shampoos and insect repellents are supplied in each tent
• Outside showers
• Safe in each tent
Xigera Camp Activities:
Summer: 50% Game drives, 50% Water activities
Winter: 20% Game drives, 80% Water activities (whilst the emphasis at Xigera is on water activities, game drives are offered all year round).
Good multi-activity camp.
• No night drives until the Moremi Wildlife Reserve rules change
• Game drives via 3 x 10 seater open Land Rovers each accommodating a maximum of seven guests, allowing all guests an outside seat.
• The camp does have a supply of bean bags for guests to use to steady their camera while on a game activity.
• Water game viewing via mokoro (eight mokoro with each seating two guests)
• Short walks around the islands whilst out in the boat or on mokoro excursions.
• Power boating seasonally available depending on water levels (1 x 8 seater boat)
• Fishing is on a catch and release basis (fishing is prohibited in Botswana in January and February for fish breeding purposes). The camp has a small stock of basic rods and reels but fly fishing equipment is to be supplied by guests if required. Please note that guests boat for about 30 minutes first to reach waters which are outside of the Moremi since fishing is not allowed within the Game Reserve.
Suggested daily activity schedule
Activities are flexible and can be tailor-made according to guest’s requirements.
05h30/06h30 - Wake up call. Light continental breakfast consisting of cereals, tea/coffee/juices and pastries to be served in the dining area.
06h30/07h30 - Depart on morning activity, returning to camp at approximately 10h00
10h30/11h00 - Brunch will be served, this will consist of a selection of breakfast and lunch dishes. From now until afternoon tea, guests will be at leisure.
15h30/15h00 - Afternoon tea will be served – this will consist of a selection of sweet and savoury snacks.
16h00/15h30 - Depart on afternoon game viewing activity – drinks and snacks will be served for sundowners during the course of the activity. Sunset - Return to camp (depending on park rules)
19h30/19h00 - Pre-dinner drinks and snacks will be served at the bar.
20h00/19h30 - Three-course dinner – generally speaking the starter and desert is served, whilst the main course is buffet style.
21h30/21h00 - Coffee and liqueurs will be served at the camp fire.
Xigera Camp Map: