Jacana is a classic wilderness camp in the Okavango Delta
and a truly water-oriented camp that offers mokoro and walking safaris all year round.
Game drives are also on offer year round but night drives are ony possible from about September to May as water levels restrict this activity when the flood is in.
The camp is set in one of the most densely populated wetland areas for Sitatunga and Red Lechwe. Wildlife concentrations depend on the water levels, but all the big animals can be found in the area including elephant, lion, leopard and buffalo. Elephants are common when the fan palm fruit is ripe in late July onwards.
Pels Fishing Owl is a favourite amongst birders as well as greater and lesser Jacanas. Safaris
The camp can only be reached by light aircraft.
A minimum stay of 2 nights at a camp is recommended. The camp is reached by light aircraft only and visitors can start or end their safari in Maun or Kasane (Botswana). Departures are daily.
Prices vary according to where you start and finish your safari. Your safari can be customised to include another camp offering a different habitat and different activities.Camp description
• Dining room raised on decking, overlooking the flood plains
• Pub and lounge area downstairs, beneath dining area
• Plunge pool
• Curio shop
• Landscape view from lounge & dining area
• Evening campfire
• Gazebo with hammocksElectricity and water
• Camp has 220v generator powered electricity run in kitchen and main areas when guests are not in camp. When guests return from daily activities, generators generally switched off (for peace in camp).
• Video battery can be charged. Hence bring spare battery, adaptor and charging unit.
• No facilities for hairdryers or electric shavers.
• 220v battery power (charged by the generator) is used for lighting and fans in each guest tent 24hrs/day.
• Solar heated water
This camp can accommodate ten guests plus tour leader.
Number of tents:
5 tents in total consisting of:
• 4 x ¾ twin bedded tents
• 1 kingsize-bedded honeymoon tent
• 1 twin guides tent
• Meru-style tents, raised off-ground on decks
• En-suite facilities with outdoor showers
• Each room has a veranda with a spectacular vista over the floodplains
• Soaps, shampoos and insect repellents are supplied in each tent.
Jacana Camp Activities:
20% Game Drives and 80% Water Activities (but very much dependant on flood levels & time of year).
• Land game drives in 2 x 10 seater open 4 x 4 Land Rovers accommodating a maximum of seven guests thus allowing all guests an outside seat.
• A raised hide located about 40 minutes from camp (which can be used for sleep outs - maximum 4 people at a time, has a long drop loo)
• Private activities available on request.
• Water game viewing in 6 x 2 seater mekoro (a traditional dug-out canoe)
• Boating trips 1 x 12 seater boat in the waterways to the east of camp.
• Fishing - on a catch and release basis.
• Basic rods & reels supplied by camp. Fly fishing equipment to be supplied by guest if required.
Suggested daily activity schedule
Below is only a suggestion as to what may happen in camp - as daily wildlife sightings tend to throw the schedule right out of schedule.
05h00/06h00 - Wake up call. Light continental breakfast consisting of cereals, tea/coffee/juices and pastries to be served in the dining area.
05h30/06h30 - Depart on morning activity, returning to camp at approximately 11h00.
10h00/11h00 - Brunch will be served, this will consist of a selection of breakfast and lunch dishes. From now until afternoon tea, guests will be
at leisure. Bird walks and a visit to the hide are informally offered.
15h30/16h00 - Afternoon tea will be served - this will consist of a selection of sweet and savoury snacks.
16h00/16h30 - Depart on afternoon game viewing activity - drinks and snacks will be served for sundowners during the course of the activity.
19h30/19h00 - Return to camp (but could be later if good game sightings).
20h00/19h30 - Pre-dinner drinks and snacks will be served at the pub.
20h30/20h00 - Three course dinner - generally speaking the starter and desert is served, whilst the main course is buffet style.
21h30/21h00 - Coffee and liqueurs will be served at the camp fire.
Jacana Camp Map:
Kwetsani Camp is a classic wilderness camp located west of Mombo and north of Jao camps in the private Jao Concession bordering the Moremi Game Reserve offering luxury tented acconnodation raised on wooden decks
per person sharing